What is display advertising
Advertising on the Internet is booming, which is everywhere this is a fact, with a minute of browsing any website we can realize the large amount of ads to which we are exposed. Stay with us and discover what is display advertising format and why it is the most used at the moment.
What is display advertising?
Display advertising is an online advertising format in which the ad (generally known as a banner and consisting of text, image, audio, and even video) is displayed on a destination website, usually presented at the top or side of it.
And what began as a mere static image with text has evolved into new, more interactive advertising formulas. Now banners can include audio, video and even offer some user interaction.
The development of Big Data together with the proliferation of mobile devices, has created a really pleasant climate for the growth of display marketing, which is already one of the preferred formats not only of large companies, but also of SMEs as a method to promote their products.
If you want to expand more here are some keys to boost your display advertising.
Differences between display advertising and traditional advertising
Compared to mass media advertising campaigns, online advertising offers two critical advantages:
- It is measurable, we can know at all times how many users we capture thanks to our ads, the revenue they generate and, of course, their cost. However, in a television advertisement we can invest thousands of euros without really knowing the impact that such action has had.
- It is segmentable, we can establish the characteristics of the users to whom we want to launch our ads: location, language and so on.
In this sense, the display marketing is in full growth. Aspects such as the proliferation of mobile devices, the constant increase in online advertising spaces and the expansion of video as an Internet format have guaranteed the growth of graphic advertising.
Methods of payment for display advertising
If you are thinking of launching your first display advertising campaign, it is important that you know the main payment methods:
- Cost per Thousand Impressions (CPM): the advertiser will pay each time his ad is shown 1000 times on the platform. The amount to be paid will have been previously agreed.
- Cost per Click (CPC) in this case, the advertiser pays each time a user clicks on your ad,
- Cost per Action: with this method you do not pay each time an ad clicks, but the advertiser will pay each time the user performs a certain action (such as, for example, buy a product or hire a trip).
- Flat rate: in this case a fixed amount is agreed to be paid per day or per month, regardless of the results achieved.
Affiliate platforms VS the direct contact with the pages
Display advertising is dominated by large affiliate networks. In this sense, Google dominates the graphic advertising market on the Internet with its affiliate network.
The operation is simple: Webmasters who want to display advertising on their sites only have to sign up for these affiliate networks (Google Adsense in the case of Google). These platforms allow you to select the size of banners and exclude certain types of ads.
However, the platform in question always keeps a very important percentage of income so that an average website will not earn much more than 3 euros a day.
However, a less widespread option but much more profitable and effective is to contact directly with those platforms in which we want to include our ads. For example, if we want to promote our training in Digital Marketing it would be interesting to investigate which are the most successful and best positioned blogs that address this issue. That’s how we’ll get there:
- Reach a much more segmented audience. The advertising platforms, although they allow to discriminate to a certain extent certain types of pages, show our advertisements in very diverse pages in which we do not always talk about our subject matter. Selecting the platform ourselves will improve the effectiveness of our campaign.
- We’ll also get very superior CTRs. When promoting our products before a very segmented public the percentage of click they make on the number of impressions will also be higher.
- And all this at a lower cost. By eliminating the intermediary it is possible to pay the Webmaster more than you would get as an affiliate of the major platforms and yet our cost will be much lower.
The main advantages of display advertising
Results are measurable
One of the obvious advantages of online advertising is measurable and quantifiable in real time, this way it is possible to determine if it is working properly, what is not doing and make proposals for improvements quickly and effectively.
More attractive and editable formats
Display advertising currently supports multiple formats that arouse the interest of users to a greater extent than other advertising formats and this way it will be more difficult for them to go unnoticed. Give it imagination and it will surely be successful!
Also the digital format is lower cost than traditional advertising, allows greater customization and is editable as many times as necessary without having to invest a large amount of money.
Another of the great advantages of Internet advertising is its wide segmentation capacity. In this way you can focus on the audience that is really interested in the product or service you want to offer, for example can be segmented by geography, sex, age, interests, keywords, and so on.
Intelligent and interactive advertising
Online advertising has the ability to be intelligent and interactive, so depending on the profile of your target audience can launch a personalized message depending on the user who connects. This will improve the click rate.
More payment formats
As we commented in the previous section, there are different payment formulas to choose the one that best suits the campaign you want to carry out. For example, the CPM will have a conversion ratio much lower than the CPC but can be of great interest to develop branding campaigns.
Another opportunity that display advertising has is that it allows you to create remarketing campaigns on the Internet. In this way you can recover users who have already had a first contact with our website but have not reached the end of the purchase, offering in these spaces the products you have previously visualized.
And finally, display advertising campaigns adapted to the mobile environment. Currently the mobile covers the highest percentage of navigation by users so it is very important to adapt the campaigns to impact correctly on the public, it is also important to take advantage of functions such as location.